When John Reed Hilliard first developed Hilliard’s Station, he set aside two (2) lots on the northeast corner of Main and Norwich Streets for the location of a church. These lots were sold at a minimal cost to the Methodist Church, the first organized congregation in the center of Hilliard, for construction of a church building. A frame building was constructed in 1855, and was replaced by the present brick church structure in 1883. This building served the Methodist congregation until 1957 when a new church was constructed outside of the Old Hilliard area.
In addition to the Methodist Church, which was the dominant denomination in Hilliard, a Christian Disciple Church was constructed further north on Main Street in about 1865.
But these were not the only churches or religions in the area. Over the years, many churches, temples and other religious buildings have been built in Northwest Franklin County.
In the section below, there is an article and some photos on some of the earliest churches in the area as well as a timeline of their significant events. There is also a slideshow of a number of the different religious buildings you can find in Northwest Franklin County today.