Architecture in the 1800’s

In the 1800s, most homes in Northwest Franklin County were clustered in the area we now call “Old Hilliard.” Many houses that lined Norwich Street and Main Street still stand today.  This was the central point of Hilliard’s Station because of the train stop that brought many visitors to town.

Styles of homes changed over the years.  Homes were first made of logs or lumber until bricks were available in 1880. You can still see examples of many different architectural styles in Hilliard.

Many homes were built to include a living space for the family and another space for the family business.  Doctors, drug store owners, printers, restaurant owners, and many others made sure their homes had a place to do their work.

Since many residents in the area were farmers, they built buildings separate from their houses.  These buildings were used for storing tools and grain and for housing animals.  Grainaries, smoke houses, barns, and machine sheds were important architecture in early Northwest Franklin County.

Schools and churches were other important additions to architecture in Hilliard.  The Consolidated School (built in 1878) was one of the most significant structures built in Old Hilliard, and it still stands today.  The original Hilliard Methodist Church was built in 1855.  It was originally made of all wood.  The current brick building, built in 1883 is still in use by the Cornerstone Christian Fellowship.


Expansion and growth was slow in the beginning” Hilliard Homefront  May 18,1982
“Hilliard Methodist Church (Cornerstone Christian Fellowship)”
“Dr. Merryman House”
“Architectural Significant (Landmark) Buildings”
“Historical Society members restore granary” April 28, 1986
Overview compiled and edited by Meribeth Gillies and Bill Wheeler